About the creators

I wanted to take a moment and thank all of the people that have allowed me to share their work. All of the postings have the links to the original posting - click on the name of their site. If you find something that you really enjoy please take a minute to go to their site and leave them some love!! Without them, without their permission this would not exist. I try not to get to many from one person - unless what they have is so unique. I do not get anything in return from them...but let them know you found them here with me Jackie at Glitter Fantasies.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The BEST way to store ribbon

Well I have been busy poking around Becca's site, Amazing Paper Grace and as you most likely noticed I have a few posts about her. Well, I thought her ideas were pretty good and knew that for storage I had found what I was going to do as well as completely love her projects! And as always here is the link to the original posting http://www.amazingpapergrace.com/amazing-ribbon-storage/

However, after seeing this idea for storing ribbon (which I have far to many rolls) I have the under the bed bins (3 of them), half a dozen large boxes plus several of the huge bags from shopping full of ribbon. Until now I was going to use the ribbon rings but dreaded at how many I would need. I already own 3 of the 3 drawer storage containers that are close to what she has. Needless to say I am over the top about this idea and cannot wait to get all of my ribbon organized. I guess you want to see what she came up with...well here it is!!

Amazing Ribbon Storage That I Absolutely Love

by Becca Feeken on February 23, 2008
Can I tell you that I am a ribbon-aholic?  I don’t know what it is, but when I see it, I just have to have more.  Even worse when I’m working on a project I don’t always feel like I have just the right ribbon.  Yup,…never fear, I’ll just get more.  Then, just how to store it?  Well, I have tried everything….rain gutters, tossing all in a big jar, ribbon rolls on cafe rods…and I found that my collection was just too unwieldy.  After thinking about, I decided that it’s the round rolls that make up all the bulk so I took the plunge and decided to get rid of that bulk.
To begin I purchased one of these three drawer units from Michaels for around $10.00, a package of small black hair rubber bands and purchased a sheet of mat board which I cut down into pieces measuring 2.5″ wide by 2″ high.  I decided on the matboard because I found cardboard bobbins you can purchase at the craft store to be too small and too flimsy.  I divided the drawers into four sections by putting in three 13″ pieces of matboard and anchoring them with tape.  I rolled all my ribbon that were lengths of 5 yards and less onto the bobbins that I had cut.  Now, just a warning, the rolling of the ribbon takes a little bit of time.  I saved it by rolling when I was watching TV and even carried a small bag of ribbon and bobbins in the car to roll while I was waiting in the car or at the doctor office.
But here’s the thing…..it’s amazing the amount of ribbon one three drawer unit will store!  In the picture below, 1 drawer can hold 140 rolls of ribbon; this particular unit is storing more than 400 rolls of ribbon!!  I love this storage because I can pull a drawer or the entire unit and set it on the edge of my workspace.



Here are the drawers opened up to show how easy it is to pack and stack the ribbons inside the drawer.
















Here is what one of the individual bobbins looks like.  It is simply a piece of matboard cut to 2.5″ x 2″ secured with a rubber band.









I have three of these units all together.  The top drawers are devoted to my American Crafts Ribbons.  Those are not stored on bobbins.  The rolls are smaller and since they come packaged in sets of six, I wanted to keep each mini palette together (shown below).


















Even storing the American Crafts as full ribbons, I can get a whopping 88 rolls in one drawer!











No comments:

Post a Comment